EXETER & CREDITON RAILWAY
NORTH DEVON RAILWAY
LONDON & SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY
It is the current junction of the Tarka and Dartmoor lines, though the two lines run parallel until Coleford Junction (where the junction of the Barnstaple and Okehampton lines used to be) at Penstone near Coleford (west of Yeoford).
The station, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, was opened by the Exeter and Crediton Railway on 12 May 1851. The line to Barnstaple was then opened by the North Devon Railway on 1 August 1854. After 1 November 1865 additional London and South Western Railway trains ran through the station going towards Okehampton.
The signal box which controls the level crossing was put into use on the 2 June 1875, and the footbridge built in 1878. It now controls the entire Tarka Line from just north of the Cowley Bridge Junction with the Bristol to Exeter line, all the way to Barnstaple, although most of the line uses the No Signalman Token Remote (NSTR) system. Under this method of operation only a single train is allowed into each section, so not much signal control is actually required.
The creamery and dairy in Crediton is located next to the church, but the company's transport depot was located in Hoskin's Yard next to the station. Every day, a train of three or more Milk Tank Wagons would be filled from lorries, and then taken to London by either the GWR or the SR. Express Dairies sold the creamery and a similar unit in Kirkcudbright, Scotland in July 2002 to Milk Link, which by that time produced UHT milk.
The goods yard closed on 4 December 1967.
The railway between Exeter and Barnstaple is designated as a community railway and is supported by marketing provided by the Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership. The line is promoted under the Tarka Line name.
The main station building is the award-winning Tea Rooms. These appeared in a list of "highly commended" station cafes published in The Guardian in 2009.The tea rooms house a 0 gauge static model of the station in LSWR days and displays about the railway locally.
The Friends of Crediton Station actively promote the station and have been involved in schemes such as planting flower beds.
In 2007, working with the Friends of Crediton Station, First Great Western (now Great Western Railway) painted the station in authentic LSWR colours.
Looking north from the station footbridgethe signal box can be seen in its original LSWR livery and just beyond the junctionbeyond which point the North Devon Railway is single track and the left track is the Okehampton Railway
Looking south through the station, again all painted in the LSWR livery. Note the former forecourt has been sold off and new housing comes almost up to the platform fencing
Looking south into the now virtually disused sidings and freight loading bay behind todays safety fencing. This siding could be used to park a light rail shuttle. As the Tarka line trains pass at this point, a connection to both directions can be made at the same time
Looking north through station giving a good view of station entrance in LSWR Salmon Pink and the brick built building is today a Tea Room. Sadly on our photographers visit it was closed so no recomendation can be made