Exe Valley Railway
Great Western Railway
BR Western Region
MOREBATH JUNCTION HALT
The Junction was opened in 1884 to connect the newly built Tiverton and North Devon Railway with the Devon and Somerset Railway that had been completed in 1873. The T&NDR became part of the Exe Valley Railway in 1885. The Great Western Railway operated the D&SR from the outset and took it over in 1901.
Due to the original Morebath Station being inaccessible to trains from the EVR without going to Dulverton changing train and returning, as the junction only faced west the GWR opened a halt near Morebath Junction in 1928, a single platform and was designated as a halt throughout its working life. As it was much nearer Morebath village and due to the two lines serving it, had a more frequent service than Morebath station which was about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the east, it proved more poular. Trains on the Exe Valley line continued to terminate at Dulverton despite the building of the intermediate station.
It also had the distinction of being the only location in Britain to have had a signalwoman in the 19th century. Mrs Towns was appointed in 1890, and in October 1913 the Railway Magazine she was quoted as "very proud" of her job after 23 years' service and hoped to continue indefinitely.