Plymouth Devonport & South Western Junction Railway
London & South Western Railway
BR Southern Region
Closed Between Bere Alston & Okehampton
Great Western Railway
BR Western Region
South Devon & Launceston line Closed
MARY TAVY & BLACKDOWN
Opened originally as just Mary Tavy in1865, the station was at the time the furthest west that the railway had got and was part of the South Devon Railway's northen extension from Tavistock via Lydford. Later extended to to Lanceston where it connected to the North Cornwall Railway, which it later amalgamated with. Running the line until financial difficulties lead to the takeover of the company by the Great Western Railway in 1876. It was renamed Mary Tavy and Blackdown in 1907.
Built as part of Brunel's broad gauge network, it was converted to standard gauge in 1892, during the works the passing loop was removed. Unusually goods traffic was only handled until 11 August 1941, believed to have never been reinstated after wartime suspension.
Through support of the Plymouth Devonport & South Western Junction Railway, London and South Western Railway, extended their Okehampton line south to Tavistock in 1874, Mary Tavy got a second line running through a cutting just above and to the east of the GWR station, but there was never a station. Travellers wishing to get to Okehampton by train would have had to change lines at Lydford where both railway companies had stations.
More frustratingly passengers wishing to get to the next station, Brentor, had to pass through, again changing at Lydford and returning on a LSWR train after the connection between the routes was removed early on.