Kingsbridge & Salcombe Railway
Great Western Railway
BR Western Region
Opened on the South Devon Railway on 15 June 1848, although the railway its self had opened six weeks beforehand, the station was incomplete at the time and openned 6 weeks afterwards.
It served as the junction for the branch line to Kingsbridge from 19 December 1893. The station closed in 1964, though for some years there has been a movement to reopen it in order to reduce commuter traffic on the roads.
The signal box was retained until 17 December 1973 when control of the line was transferred to the electronic signal box at Plymouth.
The former goods shed on the westbound (Plymouth) side is still intact and utilised as a the home for Primrose Junction playgroup. The signalbox was finally demolished in November 2014
4 different maps from the 1950's abutt at South Brent sitiing right in the corners so we have created this amalgamation as best we can of 1948 & 1959 OS Maps showing where the station and junction was positioned.
Most of the disused track alignment can still be seen in this modern OS style map but having been cut across by the A38 upgrade many years ago.
Historic picture looking up the platrom as train steams into view.
The station as a private home some 10 yrars ago. Note the conopy used as the roof to a conservatory.