Exeter Central

EXETER CENTRAL

 

The Exeter and Crediton Railway was a 7 ft (2,134 mm) broad gauge railway that linked Exeter and Crediton, Devon, England. It was 5¼ miles (8½ km) long.

 

Although built in 1847, it was not opened until 12 May 1851 due to disagreement about the gauge to be used. It was initially operated by the Bristol and Exeter Railway, but eventually became a part of the London and South Western Railway, thus being one of the few broad gauge railways never to become part of the Great Western Railway.