Bideford Railway Heritage Centre and is open to the public on occasional Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Admission is free but donations to help with the upkeep of the box are gladly accepted. Follow the Tarka Trail to Bideford and visit Bideford Station as well.
The first station in Bideford opened on 2 November 1855 as the terminus. The line being taken over by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) some ten years afterwards. It was resited in 1872 when the (LSWR) extended the line to Torrington.
Regular passenger trains from Barnstaple were withdrawn on Sat. 2 October 1965 although special trains occasionally used the station until the line was closed in 1982.
After closure a railway preservation society was formed to reopen the station and part of the line. They laid over 200 yards of track in the station and collected some rolling stock and a small diesel locomotive. A train service was operated but they were then forced to close temporarily due to vandalism and a threat to build houses on the trackbed. The site is open to the public and is currently being prepared for service again. See Bideford Railway Heritage Centre.