North Devon Railway
London & South Western Railway
BR Southern Region
Opened 1 August 1854 and for a period called Yeoford Junction as on 1 November 1865 the first section of the Okehampton Railway opened, joining the main line at Coleford Junction, a short distance north of Yeoford which was sponsored by the London & South Western Railway (LSWR) as part of thier eventual aim to run from London to Plymouth entirely independantly of the GWR.
Today the two lines through the station are seperate single track lines, the points having been long ago moved to just north of Crediton Station, leaving Coleford Junction as an historical name, current misnoma. The platform on the Northern side being a request stop on the route from Exeter to Barnstaplemarketed as the 'Tarka Line'. The other, now disused and over grown is on the Okehampton spur.
From Coleford Junction the track is owned by Associated aggregates, who own the mothballed ballast quarry at Meldon but leased to the Okehampton Railway, which is in turn owned by British American Railways who operate the UK Polar Express franchise and run dining excursions. They also allow the 'Friends of Okehampton Railway to run heritage 'Thumper' Diesel Electric units between Okehampton and Meldon, and less often to Sampford Courtney.
Devon County Council have on thier agenda the full return of passenger services to Okehampton and subsidise a summer Sunday service from Exeter to Okehampton to maintain pressure on the rail companies.
The land that was formerly the sidings was reportely for sale in 2014 for housing, but as the land is flood prone this is seen as an unlikely use and therefore the price tag may be over inflated. It would certaily make a good location for a depot to maintain Light Railcars to operate a regular service between Crediton and Okehampton as proposed by Ecorail Ltd.
1950 OS map showing the sparcity of population of the area, the station only ever being built as an interchange between lines
Modern OS style map shows that a small village has built up mostly to the south of the station, some house building has taken place adjacent to the station quite recent ly
Uncredited Historic picture of the station and sidings, due to the long grass presumably taken around September 1964 when freight was withdrawn
1974 and this Mike Morant picture evidences the begining of the dismanteling of the structures on the now disused Northbound platform