Exe Valley Railway
Great Western Railway
BR Western Region
Stoke Canon Station, Level Crossing & Junction
The original station opened in 1860 on the Bristol & Exeter Railway, serving the village of the same name, having staggered platforms. The up platform was north of the level crossing; the down platform was to the south.
The Exe Valley Railway was opened 1 May 1885 it was from a junction a little to the south of the original station. The station was then relocated further south so that it could serve both lines from 2 July 1894.
The station was closed to passengers on 13 June 1960 but goods traffic continued until 3 May 1965. The station signal box closed at this time, but the earlier Bristol and Exeter Railway signal box which had been retained to operate the level crossing was not closed until 9 December 1985 when control of the level crossing was transferred to the new panel signal box at Exeter St Davids, which is now due to close its self in 2017/18 as signalling gets evermore centralised, moving inexorably towards satellite tracking these days.
1950 OS map showing where the junction sat in relation to the village and that there was a footpath running alongside the railway long before the current path was formed by an upgrade onto the track alignment
Modern OS style map showing how the village has increased in size and the junction has disappeared, even though the rest of the alignment north of the junction now forms the Devonshire Heartlands Way
As with most stations on the Taunton to Exeter line, the platforms were moved apart in 1932 to accommodate new loop lines, and the branch was given its own side of the up platform so that trains could run on to the branch while a train stood in the up loop. The layout of the first Junction station can be seen below
STOKE CANON LEVEL CROSSING & SIGNAL BOX