Exe Valley Railway
Great Western Railway
BR Western Region
This line, like many throughout the county, or even country for that matter this line was an amalgamation of two railways.
The first part of the line to be built was the Tiverton and North Devon Railway (T&NDR), which ran from the Devon & Somerset Railway (D&SR) via a junction at Morebath south to Tiverton, opening on 1 August 1884. Opened in 1884 by the Great Western Railway (GWR) to link its main Bristol to Exeter Line with its Devon and Somerset Railway (D&SR), thereby connecting Exeter with Dulverton.
The second half started from the Exeter main line at Stoke Canon and ran northwards to Tiverton. This opened on 1 May 1885.
Services generally ran through from Dulverton to Exeter St Davids, however trains could not stop at Stoke Canon station as the junction was built south of the station which had been opened on the main line in earlier, in 1852. By 1894 a new station had been built to remedy the inconvenience to passengers. A similar situation existed at Morebath, but was not rectified until 1921 when a new station was opened at the junction.
In 1890, Mrs Towns was appointed signalwoman at Morebath Junction. She is the only recorded example of a signalwoman on any railway in Britain in the 19th century. In October 1913, the Railway Magazine reported that she was "very proud" of her job after 23 years service and hoped to continue indefinitely.
Stoke Canon station closed in 1960 and passenger trains were withdrawn from the line from 7 October 1963, although goods trains continued to run to Thorverton until 4 May 1964.
Stations and Features on the Line
11.00West Exe Halt
24.75Exeter St Davids